Tender Jam Pastry
Tender Jam Pastry
I was amazed by the tenderness of those pastries, they literally melt in your mouth. The only problem with this recipe is that they disappear too quickly!
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Translated and adapted from Retete ca la Mama
- ½ cup of shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups of flour
- fruit jam (here I used apricot jam)
- flour for the working area
- confectioner sugar for dusting
- In a mixer bowl put shortening, salt, egg yolks and vanilla essence, mix on low-speed until all ingredients are incorporated
- Add yogurt and mix 2-3 minutes
- Add flour in stages using the low-speed (3-4 tablespoons at the time) and mix well after each addition. Depending upon the flour quality and humidity as well as the yolk sizes, you may need more flour to get the dough to a non sticky consistency. Add extra flour if required to bring the dough to a non sticky consistency. Do not over mix the dough, the pastries will not be as tender if over mixed.
- Bring the dough to a ball shape, cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and using a roll pin on a floured flat surface flatten the dough in 2 thin surfaces (3-4 mm thickness ). Using a dough cutting wheel cut rectangles of 4 inch.
- Place the filling in the center of each rectangle. Roll up one corner towards the opposite corner of the rectangle, covering the filling . No brushing is required.
- Place the pastries on baking sheets and bake 375 F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Pull out of the oven and dust with confectioner sugar while hot.
- Serve with milk, coffee or tea. Absolutely delicious!
(Visited 400 times, 1 visits today)