This is a very popular Romanian dish. Peppers can be stuffed with anything, depending upon preferences. Here is my favorite recipe:
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Translated and adapted from Retete ca la Mama
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 5 to 8 peppers, depends on the sizes of the peppers (and of your family)
- ½ cup risotto rice
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- dill finely chopped
- parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of water
- 2-3 cups of tomato juice
- 1 tbsp of flour
- ½ cup sour cream
- Clean out the insides of the peppers and wash thoroughly, clean the stems and save them. They will be used to "plug" the peppers.
- Sauté the onion in one tbsp of olive oil
- In a large bowl combine the ground meat, rice, 1 sautéed onion, parsley and dill, ketchup, minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste and ½ cup of water, mix well*
- Stuff each pepper with the mix, and "plug" them with the stems
- Sauté the other onion in a large pot. Take the pot off heat and arrange the peppers inside the pot.
- Pour the tomato juice over the peppers, add water if necessary to get the liquid at the peppers level.
- Cook on medium to low heat for about 90 minutes.
- In a small cup, mix one tbsp of flour with 3 tbsp of water
- Pour in the sauce to just to thicken it a little bit, boil for a couple more minutes
- Serve with sour cream and freshly chopped dill or parsley on top.
Adding water to a meat and rice combination it is very important. This is because during the cooking process the rice absorbs water. If no water is added, the cooked meat mix will be very dry.
(Visited 221 times, 1 visits today)