This cake called the "smart cake" because during the baking process it will separate in three layers. This cake that can make its own base, cream and sponge during baking. Amazing!
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Translated and adapted from Gourmandine.ro
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of butter (2.5 sticks)
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 cups of warm milk
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- zest from one lemon
- 1⅓ cup of granulated sugar
- confectioner sugar for dusting
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Take it off the heat, set it aside to cool down.
- Separate the egg withes from the yolks. Beat the whites in a mixer bowl until stiff, set side.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk mix the egg yolks with the sugar until homogenous.
- Add vanilla essence and lemon zest, incorporate well into the mixture
- Add the cold melted butter and mix until incorporated
- Add the sifted flour in several small quantities, mixing well after each addition until all incorporated
- Add the warm milk and mix well to homogenize the mixture
- Finally add the whisked egg whites and incorporate all well into the mixture. The mixture is very liquid at this point, this is the way it should be, it will sediment and solidify during the cooking process.
- Line a baking pan (9/13 inches) with parchment paper and pour the mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes at 375 F until the top is golden brown and the kitchen smells so good!
- Remove from the oven, and let it cool for about one hour.
- Dust with confectioner sugar, cut in squares and serve. Enjoy!
(Visited 2,849 times, 5 visits today)