According to Wikipedia, meatloaf has European origins; meatloaf of minced meat was mentioned in the famous Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century. One theory is that it's just a larger, loaf-shaped meatball. A plate of meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy has been called, "the All-American meal." Trying to find a casual restaurant or diner that doesn't have a meatloaf on the menu, is like trying to find an Italian restaurant that doesn’t serve pasta (Source: About.com) . I have been cooking meatloaf for a while, my husband introduced this recipe in my cooking portfolio. In Romania the meatloaf is called "drob", mainly cooked from chicken liver with spices, fresh herbs and a hardboiled egg in the center.
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Family Recipe
- For the loaf:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the glaze:
- ½ cup of ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- In a medium saucepan place the oil and sauté the chopped onions until soft for about 1 minute on medium heat
- In a medium bowl, place de meat, add the sautéed onions and the rest o the ingredients. Mix well until all of the ingredients are combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients, mix well until all combined
- In a meatloaf baking pan place the meat, level the top with the back of a spoon and top with half of the glaze, keep the other half to top the sliced meatloaf when ready.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 -50 minutes at 375 F. Serve with mashed potatoes and remaining glaze.
(Visited 382 times, 1 visits today)