Introduction: What can be more heart warming than a Valentine's Day breakfast served in bed by your loving spouse? When the breakfast is made of made of lovely heart shaped donuts and moreover those mouth melting and fabulous looking donuts are made with your own little hands it can only earn you a hundred extra credit points. Ready to earn the extra credit? Let's roll!
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
- 3½ cups of sifted flour
- 2 yolks
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- lemon or orange zest
- frying oil
- confectioner sugar
- In a medium bowl, place the warm milk and add a teaspoon of sugar, add the yeast, mix until the yeast has dissolved, set aside for 5-10 minutes for the yeast to activate
- When the yeast becomes bubbly, place the activated mix in the bread maker pan
- Add the yolks, butter, vanilla essence, lemon zest, flour, remaining sugar, salt, in this order.
- Set the bread machine on dough cycle, start the cycle
- When the cycle ends, the dough should have increased its volume nicely. Put some oil on your hands, take the dough out of the pan, turn it to an oiled working surface. Avoid adding flour to the dough or to the working surface since it will add weight to it and the donuts will not rise as well.
- Using an oiled rolling pin, flatten the dough to a shape of about ⅓ inch thick.
- Using a heart cookie shape cut the donuts and place them on a baking sheet.
- Take the remaining dough and form a ball. Flatten it with the rolling pin. Repeat steps 6, 7 and until all of the dough has been cut and shaped to heart donuts.
- Cover with a clean towel and set them to rise (in the cold microwave for instance) for 30 minutes.
- In a deep-frying pan place a quantity of oil to correspond to a depth of 2 inches. The quantity of oil should allow the donuts to be immersed completely. Bring it to the frying temperature and drop the donuts in the hot oil, one by one.
- Turn the heat on medium and fry them for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Remove them from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Fry the donuts in batches until all done.
- Dust them with confectioner sugar and serve while warm. Delicious!
(Visited 214 times, 1 visits today)