Introduction: An empanada is a stuffed bread or pastry baked or fried in many countries in Latin America, Southern Europe and parts of Southeast Asia. The name comes from the verb empanar, meaning to wrap or coat in bread. Empanada is made by folding a dough or bread patty around the stuffing. The stuffing can consist of a variety of meats, cheese, vegetables or fruits among others [Source: Wiki].
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
- ◾3 cups of flour
- ◾3 tbsps of sugar
- ◾1/2 tsp of salt
- ◾1/2 cup of shortening
- ◾3/4 cup of water
- ◾1 jar of your favorite preserve (here I used apricot preserve)
- ◾1 tbsp of confectioner sugar
- In a large bowl combine the solid ingredients (flour, sugar, salt) and mix well
- Cut the shortening in small pieces and add to the mixture, while pouring a little water at the time
- Knead until the flour is all incorporated and smooth. Let rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Form into small balls, roll into 6 inch circles
- Put filling on one side, fold over and seal edges using a fork
- Bake at 375 F until golden brown. Enjoy!
(Visited 100 times, 1 visits today)