Introduction: Eggplant is a healthy vegetable that goes great with dishes like stir fry and lasagna. In addition to being a mouthwatering addition to just about any meal, eggplant boasts several health benefits. Including eggplant as part of a healthy diet can combat obesity, certain cancers and diabetes (source: Livestrong.com). This is a traditional Mediterranean dish very popular in Romania. In the fall, when eggplants are in season, you can smell the roasted eggplant all over the apartment buildings.
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
- 4 egg plants (medium size)
- ◾one large onion, largely chopped
- ◾2 table spoons of olive oil
- ◾lemon juice
- ◾salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce the eggplants in several places with a fork. Roast the eggplants on the grill until soft and skin is charred. Turn the eggplants during roasting.
- After roasting, it's necessary to remove the bitter liquids before using. Put them in a strainer and let them cool for 10 minutes. Trim off the top stem end and bottom flower end, and peel off the skin. Put them in the strainer again and let them drain the bitter liquid.
- Put the egg-plant and the chopped onions in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with fresh onion rings, lemon slices and green parsley leaves. Serve on fresh or toasted bread. Enjoy!
(Visited 105 times, 1 visits today)