Chocolate Sponge Roll
Recipe Source: Translated and adapted from: Edith’s Kitchen
Introduction: An easy dessert.
For the sponge:
- 5 eggs (yolks separated from whites)
- 5 tbsp of sugar
- 5 tbsp of flour
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
For the filling: Here I used Chocolate Mousse, you can use your favorite filling like whipped cream mixed with sugar and your favorite fruit or jam.
For the topping:
- 3 oz of chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Place the egg whites in a mixer bowl and beat until stiff.
- Slowly add the sugar, one tbsp at the time , continually mixing
- With a spatula, gently incorporate the egg yolks, one at the time
- With a spatula, gently incorporate the flour, one tbsp at the time
- Add vanilla extract and incorporate in the mixture
- Place some parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread the batter over the entire surface of the sheet with the back of a spoon
- Bake for about 15 to 15 minutes at 375 F until the cake is puffed and gains a lightly golden brown color*. Do not overcook, so the sponge will keep its elasticity required by the upcoming rolling action.
- Remove from oven and place on on a wire rack to cool. Cover the cake with a clean, slightly damp towel.
Assembly of the cake:
- When the sponge has cooled, spread with the chocolate mousse or your favourite filling and gently roll the cake, peeling off the parchment paper as you roll. 10. Heat a saucepan one-third full with hot water, and in a bowl set on top, melt together the chocolate and the butter, stirring over the barley simmering water, until smooth. Remove from heat, let it cool. 11. Place the melted chocolate in a cake decorator bag and squeeze melted chocolate on top of it. 12. Place the roll in the fridge and serve the next day. Delicious!
Ready in: 1 hour
Yields: 6 – 8 servings
Cook’s Note: *You may test if the sponge is ready using the toothpick test. Stick a toothpick in the cake. If the toothpick comes out dry and non sticky, then the cake is done.