I love chocolate! This chocolate cake is a divine tasting experience, try it out and you will be in heaven.
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Translated and adapted from Diva in Bucatarie
For the Cake:
- 1½ cup of flour
- 1¼ cup of confectioner sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup of ground walnuts
- 6 oz of bakers' chocolate
- 6 oz of butter
- 1 tablespoon of Nescafe
- ⅛ cup of hot water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
For the Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of confectioner sugar
- 8 oz of bakers chocolate, sweetened*
- 6 oz of butter, room temperature
- 2 yolks
- 1 oz of whiskey cream
For the Syrup
- 2 cups of water2/3 of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of essence of rum
- In a large bowl put the solid ingredients: sifted flour, sifted confectioner sugar, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, ground walnuts, mix well.
- Melt the chocolate and butter on Bain Marie
- Dissolve Nescafe in ⅛ cup of hot water and pour over the melted chocolate, stir well
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk
- Add the milk-egg mixture over the solid ingredients, then add the melted chocolate mixture, mix well with a wooden spoon until all incorporated.
- Take a round baking dish, rub it with butter and sprinkle with flour. Pour the cake mixture in the dish, bake in preheated oven at 375F for 40 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
- In a mixer bowl, beat the whipping cream with the sugar until stiff peaks
- On a Bain Marie, melt the chocolate and half of the butter (3 oz).
- While on Bain Marie, add the yolks, one at the time and mix well after each addition
- Remove from heat and add the other half of the butter, melt the butter in, stir to homogenize
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature then incorporate the heavy whipping cream
- Add the whiskey cream, refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Boil 2 cups of water with ⅔ cups of sugar
- Add the essence of rum let it cool
Assembly the cake:
- Remove the cake from the oven, allow to cool for an hour
- Slice the top to create a flat surface
- Slice the cake in two sections, take the top one off, set it aside
- With a tablespoon pour half of the syrup on the bottom section of the cake. The cake will absorb it and become very moist
- Place ⅓ of the cream on the section and layer it with a wide spatula or knife
- Put the other section on top of bottom one, pour the remaining syrup on the second section.
- Cover with the remaining cream and decorate as you please.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours then serve.
(Visited 298 times, 1 visits today)