My Mother used to bake this cake in the warm summer weekends when the berries were in season. I always loved it due to the combination of the fresh taste of the berries and the sweet flavour of the base.
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Found in an old Romanian cookbook, "Cartea Dulciurilor" (The Dessert Book) written by Elena Drodea
- ½ cup of butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of powder sugar (2 tablespoons to sprinkle on the top when ready)
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 2 egg yolks (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- raspberries and blueberries
- In a mixer bowl put the butter and mix on slow speed until the butter is creamy
- Add the powder sugar in stages, until sugar is incorporated
- Add the egg yolks, milk and sour cream, continue to mix
- In separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and whisk them a few times
- Add the dry ingredient mix to the mixture in the mixer bowl in stages, mixing on slow speed.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest and mix well, however, do not overbeat
- Butter and flour a cake pan ( 9"x9") and pour the cake mixture.
- Level with the back of a spoon, put the berries on top of the cake
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 F.
- When the top is lightly browned, the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pans, and the surface springs back when you press the center with a fingertip you will know that the cake is ready.
- Pull out of the oven, sprinkle with powder sugar immediately. Let it cool, slice it in small squares. Enjoy!
(Visited 229 times, 1 visits today)