Introduction: Apple rolls are one my family favorites, and every time I make them they disappear really quickly. This is a quick alternative of the Romanian apple pie, using the same filling. Those rolls make a perfect Sunday afternoon snack next to a clod glass of milk.
Prepared and Photographed by: Claudia Davis
Recipe Source: Family Recipe
- 1 pack of pastry sheets
- 4 large apples
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp. of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- confectioner sugar
- Take the pastry sheets out of the pack, set them to thaw. After about 20 minutes set two plastic wrapping sheets on the counter and unfold the pastry sheets on top of the plastic wrapping sheets
- Meanwhile peel and shred the apples, sprinkle with the lemon juice
- Place them in a saucepan on low heat, add the sugar
- Cook for about 20 minutes mixing frequently until the apples changed color and their juice has evaporated
- Add the cinnamon , mix well, remove from the heat, set aside and allow to cool for about 30 minutes
- Divide the apple mixture equally and place it on top of each the pastry sheets. Level with the back of a spoon and roll the pastry sheets using the plastic sheet underneath, secure with the plastic at each end of the roll, resulting in two cylinders
- Place them in the freezer for about an hour. This is needed so the rolls will get a little harder in the freezer and will form nice firm rolls when removed from the freezer and cut.
- After about an hour remove the rolls from the freezer, place them on a cutting board.
- With a sharp knife cut rolls out of the cylinders of about half an inch thick.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchments paper
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush the rolls with the egg wash
- Place the rolls in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at 375 F or until golden
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with confectioner sugar, let it cool
- Remove form the baking sheet, place on a serving plate and serve while warm. They are as good if served the next day. Enjoy!
(Visited 109 times, 1 visits today)